Enjoy our simple bagels & schmear recipe with garlic and herb that will make you feel like a New Yorker! I was inspired to make this bagels & schmear recipe for AOC after she tweeted that she’s only eating veggies for 40 days of lent and looking for recipes! As Canadians, we wanted to help her out by making plant-based recipes that she would enjoy!
We asked our friends south of the border what they thought would be best, and they told us every New Yorker loves bagels & schmear. So we decided to make a veggie-focused “Dairy-free Bagels & Schmear” recipe!
As always, % of proceeds from our ad revenue from all our recipes go towards animal shelters! So every time you make one of our recipes or share it with a friend, it’s helping dogs in need, which is the whole reason why I started Rescue Dog Kitchen 🙂
Ingredients for Bagels & Schmear:
The ingredient list for bagels & schmear is depended on your taste but I’m going to list how to make it plant-based! Personally, I love a good everything bagel from our local bakery so that’s what we used but choose which one you love!
What you need to make dairy-free schmear:
- Plain plant-based cream cheese (Our favourite is Tofutti but I have no idea what you have down there!)
- Dried parsley
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Microgreens (optional)
We like adding a little bit of garlic powder for an extra boost of flavour, but if you’re going to add garlic, make sure it’s on a day you’re working closely with Republicans lol
How to Make Bagels & Schmear
This bagel & schmear recipe is so easy, which is perfect for those who are busy trying to make the world a better place for us all.
- Cut your bagel in half and place it in a toaster. Adjust the setting to how you like your toasted bagel. I set mine at about 6 out of ten so it’s crisp on the outside and still a little bit chewy on the inside!
- While your bagel is toasting, let’s make the dairy-free schmear. In a bowl, scoop three heaping spoonfuls of your plain dairy-free cream cheese of choice (I use violife or tofutti cream cheese). Add more if you want more schmear but this was an adequate amount for one bagel!
- Sprinkle the other ingredients (except microgreens if you’re using them) and mix until combined.
- Once your bagel is toasted, give it a minute to cool off, and then lather it in your bowl of dairy-free schmear!
- If you want to add microgreens, top with microgreens! Trust me when I say microgreens are a game changer!
Kitchen equipment I used for this recipe
- Toaster – We love this toaster! It’s basic, cheap and gets the job done, what more can you ask for in a toaster!
- Smart Toaster we might buy if we won the lottery – If you’re looking for a toaster that has a full-on touchscreen attached to the front of it… try this one. It’s EXTRA but I kind of want it lol maybe if we ever won the lottery we’d buy it but we’d probably just donate it instead. Still fun to look at though!
Bagels & Schmear Recipe
- 1 Bagel we used everything bagel
- 3 tbsp Plant-Based Cream Cheese we love Violife and Tofutti
- ½ tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Granulated Onions
- 1 tsp Parsley dried
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder optional
- 1 bunch Microgreens optional
- Cut your bagel in half and place it in a toaster. Adjust the setting to the darkness you like.
- While your bagel toast let's make the schmear. In a bowl scoop three heaping spoonfuls of your plain cream cheese of choice, more if you want more schmear but this was a lot for one bagel!
- Add the other ingredients (except microgreens if you're using them) and mix until combined.
- Once your bagel is toasted, give it a minute to cool off, and then lather it in schmear!
- If you're using microgreens top with microgreens.
- Realistically any bagel type works and any toppings work so feel free to experiment with them and see which you like best!
- Microgreens add a ton of nutrition, and flavour to the bagel so I recommend looking into them if you haven’t heard of them before!
If you try this recipe, please leave it a 5-star review in the comments section below! I’d love to hear from you! You can rate it, comment about it, sending me pictures about it by tagging us on Instagram @RescueDogKitchen.
Nutrition Facts for Bagels & Schmear
The nutrition information presented here is for all of the ingredients. I take all of the nutritional information from Cronometer a nutritional tracker website that provides you with a lot of great information, especially regarding micronutrients!
1 servings per container
Serving Size1 g
- Amount Per ServingCalories368
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 8.6g 14%
- Sodium 531mg 23%
- Potassium 158mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate 58g 20%
- Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 11g 22%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Bagels are decently calorie dense and honestly they don’t provide much nutritional value, the same can be said for cream cheese. It is delicious though lol
Although this recipe doesn’t have a ton in regards to nutrition it does have offer a few key nutrients. The big one being Iron. This recipe has 40% of your daily iron intake which is important because iron is responsible for helping to deliver fresh blood and oxygen around your body and to your brain which is important to keep it functioning well and making the world a better place!
One thing too watch out for and it’s something we’ve talked about quite a bit on this blog is the sodium content. It’s decently high at 23%, and let’s get real who just has one bagel and schmear am i right?? But seriously, according to the FDA, Americans consume on average over 1000 mg more sodium than the daily recommended amount. High sodium levels can lead to a whole list of problems including high blood pressure, hypertension, and heart disease. So it’s just something to be aware of!
Commonly asked questions about bagels & schmear
Do you butter a cream cheese bagel?
Technically you can, but generally speaking, no you do not. Buttering a cream cheese bagel adds a ton of calories and doesn’t add too much flavour. Especially if you’re using a flavourful schmear butter like my recipe.
I hope you liked this recipe AOC. We love what you do and everything you represent. If we have more leaders like you the world would be a much better place!
Other recipes you might like:
Remember that 50% of ad proceeds we get from the website go back to helping animals in need so we really appreciate it when you click on our links and share the website and social media posts with your friends!
Never miss a recipe!
Help support pups and eat good while you're at it!
We'll send you all of our newest recipes directly to you inbox
plus get behind the scenes pics of Bone and Bailey cooking in the
Rescue Dog Kitchen!