This healthy chocolate strawberry banana oatmeal recipe is dairy-free, sugar-free, and gluten-free, not to mention it’s super healthy and a great way to start your day!
Now if this is your first time on the blog welcome it’s good to have you here! You’re about to learn that I have a slight* obsession with oatmeal.
*maybe more than slight… lol
If you’ve been here before this isn’t news to you lol so it should come as no surprise that I am again making another oatmeal recipe!
This recipe is a little different than my other oatmeal recipes though! This oatmeal recipe I focused on using fresh summer vibes for it, I also tried to make it lighter than my other recipes (like my peanut butter and jelly oatmeal recipe) because sometimes I forget that not everyone is like me and doesn’t want to eat 1000 calories to start the day lol
For this healthy chocolate strawberry banana oatmeal recipe, I focused on whole foods and not adding any sugar. The recipe only has 6 ingredients and took me about 15 minutes to make.
Even though it is a chocolate recipe it’s not very sweet because there is no added sugar in the recipe. If you’d like to make it sweeter while still keeping it healthy I’d recommend adding a tablespoon or two of monk fruit sugar. If you don’t know what monk fruit sugar is let me introduce you to a whole new world of healthy sugar alternatives!
Monk fruit sugar/sweetener is basically the sweet extract from the monk fruit seed. The interesting part about monk fruit is it doesn’t get its sweetness from fructose/glucose like most other plants. Monk fruit gets its sweetness from an antioxidant called the mogroside. Because the monk fruit doesn’t get its sweetness from fructose/glucose it actually has 0 calories in it, which naturally makes it a better/healthier alternative to sugar. But it has also been linked to a list of other health benefits such as; cancer prevention, weight loss, supports the immune system, and more!
I love oatmeal for so many reasons but one of the biggest ones is that it’s filling and delicious if you make it right! They also have a ton of nutritional value and they’re a great way to start your day off on the right foot!
Nutrition of Chocolate Strawberry Banana Oatmeal
Most of the oatmeal recipes I make are pretty healthy. I generally never add sugar, unless its in the form of syrup or agave, and most of the toppings are fruits or nuts (sometimes chocolate chips though). But this chocolate strawberry banana oatmeal recipe is definitely up there on the healthiest oatmeal recipes I’ve made so far.
Strawberries are a powerhouse of nutrition and antioxidants! They’re a great source of manganese and potassium and 8 of them have more vitamin C than an orange! Strawberries are in the top 20 fruits in terms of antioxidant content which is amazing! Not to mention they are delicious!
Some of you may have never heard of cocoa nibs but I freaking love these things! They’re a way better alternative to chocolate and satisfy my sweet tooth chocolate craving every time! Cocoa nibs come from crushed cocoa beans and because of this they are significantly less processed than their chocolate siblings. Less processing means they keep more of their nutritional value! Cocoa nibs are high in antioxidants which help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation. I add these bad boys to my smoothies, oatmeal, banana bread, you name it I’ve probably added them to it because of how good they are for you!
The nutrition information presented here is for all of the ingredients (including monk fruit sugar). I take all of the nutritional information from Cronometer a nutritional tracker website that provides you with a lot of great information, especially regarding micronutrients!
*it’s important to note that the sugars present in the nutritional table are natural sugars from the fruit and not added sugars.
1 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories603
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 15g 24%
- Sodium 93mg 4%
- Potassium 1317mg 38%
- Total Carbohydrate 99g 33%
- Dietary Fiber 18g 72%
- Sugars 20g
- Protein 24g 48%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
I mean just look at all of the vitamins and minerals you’re getting with this meal! It’s a lot and that’s why it really is one of my healthiest oatmeal recipes!
Let’s learn how to make this healthy chocolate strawberry banana oatmeal recipe!
Step 1. Add oatmeal, milk, cocoa powder, and monk fruit (if using) to a saucepan on med-high heat.
Step 2. Stir in cocoa powder and monk fruit sugar.
Step 3. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and let simmer for approximately 7 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
Step 4. On a cutting board, cut tops off strawberries and peel your banana. Slice fruit into thin bite-sized portions.
Step 5. When oatmeal reaches desired consistency, take off the heat, and pour it into a bowl.
Step 6. Top oatmeal with strawberries, banana, and cocoa nibs.
There you have it! Easy and healthy chocolate strawberry banana oatmeal! Like I’ve said many times before, oatmeal doesn’t have to be boring. There are so many ways to make it taste good and be a delicious part of your diet. It also has a ton of health benefits on it’s own so we should all be eating more of it.
Like I said if you’re new here you’re going to learn fast that I really LOVE oatmeal lol
Remember that the ad proceeds we get from the website go back to helping animals in need so we really appreciate it when you click on our links and share the website and social media posts with your friends! 🙂
If you try this recipe I’d love to hear from you! You can rate it, comment about it, sending me pictures about it, I don’t care how but I want to hear from you and see how you enjoyed it!
Kitchen equipment I used:
- The world’s sharpest knife set – my personal opinion but I have cut myself a bunch of times with them lol
- Pot set we’re currently using – Honestly, I’m pretty happy with this set! I got it 70% off at Canadian Tire which if you know CT that’s the regular price everywhere else lol but it’s a solid set that durable for me so far and priced pretty good for what you get!
- Oats we used – Oats are pretty widely available at most grocery stores but if for whatever reason you can’t get them or you just want to know what oats we used these are them!
- Monkfruit healthy sugar replacer – Monkfruit on the other hand can be very difficult to find and even if you do it can be fairly expensive. This is a great price for a 3-pound bag.
- Fair Trade, Organic Cocoa Nibs we like! – cocoa nibs can be hard to track down, especially if you’re looking for ethical companies in one of the most exploited industries in the world! This company is certified organic and fair trade so we’re keener on supporting them.
Healthy Chocolate Strawberry Banana Oatmeal
- Cutting Board
- 0.5 cup Steel Cut Oats quick cooking
- 1 cup Soy Milk unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 5 whole Strawberries halved
- 1 whole Banana sliced
- 1 tbsp Monkfruit
- 1 tbsp Cacao Nibs
- Add oatmeal, milk, cocoa powder and monk fruit (if using) to a saucepan on med-high heat.
- Stir in cocoa powder and monk fruit sugar.
- Bring to a boil than reduce heat, cover and let simmer for approximately 7 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- On a cutting board, cut tops off strawberries and peel your banana. Slice fruit into thin bite-sized portions.
- When oatmeal reaches desired consistency, take off the heat, and pour it into a bowl.
- Top oatmeal with strawberries, banana, and cocoa nibs.
- I would generally eat double this recipe myself but it is a lot of calories!
- Top with a drizzle of all-natural peanut butter for even more flavor and protein!
Never miss a recipe!
Help support pups and eat good while you're at it!
We'll send you all of our newest recipes directly to you inbox
plus get behind the scenes pics of Bone and Bailey cooking in the
Rescue Dog Kitchen!