Our vegan chicken parmesan recipe is so easy to make, takes only 23 mins, and tastes exactly like the classic chicken parm... just vegan!
You'll impress anyone you make this for, even the Italians in your life!
Why I Made Chicken Parmesan Vegan
Growing up with an Italian mother I ate a lot of pasta, a lot of parmesan, and a lot of carbs. One of the blessings of being vegan is that most pasta is in fact vegan. However, chicken, parmesan (cheese in general), and cream sauces on the other hand are not vegan. Well, that was until I re-created a plant-based chicken parmesan.
In the past 5 years, since I first went vegan, I could never since a good vegan chicken parmesan. I still haven't come across a pre-made one either, but nowadays, I can at least make a vegan one from scratch. There are so many vegan meat and dairy alternatives, so I was excited to share how I made chicken parmesan vegan using plant-based chicken fillets, dairy-free parmesan, and my mom's Italian sauce recipe which has become a fan favourite here on the blog.
How To Make Vegan Chicken Parmesan
In this recipe, we use 3 different products to bring it all together into one amazing dish for you. Violife Parmesan Wedge, Lightlife Chicken Fillets, and Myokos Mozzarella Wheel. Also with the help of my mom's famous Italian pasta sauce recipe as well! You can use any spaghetti sauce (canned or not) but we believe that
1) Mom's recipe is the best, and
2) homemade is always better than canned and truly elevates a recipe.
There is plenty of other vegan cheese and chicken substitutes on the market, but we think that these are the best ones we've had so far. Taste is subjective though so if you prefer the Gardein chicken or another brands' plant-based cheese you could use those instead!
If you don't have access to any frozen vegan chicken fillets you can make them using my friend Richard from School Night Vegan Chicken Roast recipe.
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan (Vegan)
- Vegan Chicken (breaded)
- Vegan Parmesan
- Vegan Mozzarella
- Tomato Sauce
- Basil (optional)
- Pasta (optional, I used spaghettini)
Sides for Vegan Chicken Parmesan
- Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread (my recipe is epic!)
- Crispy Brussel Sprouts
- House Salad
- Tomato Bisque
Kitchen Equipment I used for recipe:
- 3 Piece Casserole Dish Set - This is such a great set because it comes with 3 different sizes! We don't always need the biggest one especially because we're usually just eating for one. The smaller size pans give us more flexibility when we're cooking!
- World's Best 15 Piece Knife Set - This is completely just my opinion but this knife set is extremely affordable and it is easily one of the best knife sets I've used in my entire life. I used to buy new cutlery from the grocery store everytime I moved (which was a lot) but now I'll never go with another knife set again!
Instructions for Chicken Parm (Vegan)
1. Prepare the vegan chicken fillets according to the package. The Lightlife chicken fillets instructions required to turn the oven on to 400 degrees and to cook for 19 minutes flipping at the 10 min mark.
2. While the vegan chicken fillets cook bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add 2 servings of spaghettini pasta and cook until al dente, about 11 min. Strain and set aside.
3. When the vegan chicken fillets are done remove them from the pan and place them in a casserole dish or a cast-iron skillet. Top each fillet with two tablespoons of spaghetti sauce, grate half a tablespoon of vegan parmesan on top of the sauce, add a slice of Myokos vegan mozzarella on top. Pour 2 cups of pasta sauce into the bottom of the pan. Turn the oven on broil, place the chicken on the top rack and cook until the cheese melts and begins to brown (5-10 min depending on which cheese you use).
4. Once the cheese begins to brown remove the vegan chicken parmesan from the oven. Scoop pasta onto a plate, use a spatula, and place one of the chicken fillets on top of the pasta. Top with more vegan parmesan, fresh chopped parsley or basil, and sauce from the pan. Serve and enjoy!
Full Measurements & Instructions Below!
Vegan Chicken Parmesan
- Casserole dish
- Cheese Grater optional
- 2 fillets Breaded Vegan Chicken we use lightlife
- 4 cups Tomato Sauce
- 2 slices Vegan Mozzarella
- 2 tablespoon Vegan Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Basil chopped
- 1 handful Spaghettini
- Prepare the vegan chicken fillets according to the package. The Lightlife chicken fillets require you to turn the oven on to 400 degrees and to cook for 19 minutes flipping at the 10 min mark.
- While the vegan chicken fillets cook bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghettini pasta and cook until al dente, about 11 min. Strain and set aside.
- When the vegan chicken fillets are done remove them from the pan and place them in a casserole dish or a cast-iron skillet. Top each fillet with two tablespoons of spaghetti sauce, grate half a tablespoon of vegan parmesan on top of the sauce, and then add a slice of vegan mozzarella on top. Pour 2 cups of pasta sauce into the bottom of the pan. Turn the oven on broil, place the chicken on the top rack and cook until the cheese melts and begins to brown (5-10 min depending on which cheese you use).
- Once the cheese begins to brown remove the vegan chicken parmesan from the oven. Scoop pasta onto a plate, use a spatula and place one of the chicken fillets on top of the pasta. Top with more vegan parmesan, fresh chopped parsley or basil, and sauce from the pan. Serve and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, please leave it a 5-star review in the comments section below! I’d love to hear from you! You can rate it, comment about it, send us pictures about it on Instagram @RescueDogKitchen.
Nutrition Facts for Vegan Chicken Parmesan
The nutrition information presented here is for all of the ingredients. I take all of the nutritional information from Cronometer a nutritional tracker website that provides you with a lot of great information, especially regarding micronutrients!
2 servings per container
Serving Size1 g
- Amount Per ServingCalories599
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 13g 65%
- Sodium 1354mg 57%
- Potassium 465mg 14%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4.5g 18%
- Sugars 2.8g
- Protein 17.6g 36%
- Vitamin A 3%
- Calcium 44%
- Iron 65%
- Vitamin K 5%
- Thiamin 24%
- Riboflavin 41%
- Niacin 37%
- Vitamin B6 9%
- Vitamin B12 25%
- Folate 2%
- Zinc 14%
- Copper 1%
- Manganese 1%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
The Italians know how to make delicious food, and it's usually full of fat and salt. Delicious just not always the most nutritious meals.
We talk about it quite often on the blog but the more processed foods you use in a recipe often times the less nutritious it is. Often times in the process of making the items the product is stripped of much of its nutritional value.
That said this vegan chicken parmesan recipe contains 18g of protein, 65% of your daily iron intake, 44% of your daily calcium intake. Although it is decently high in sodium.
Some ways to add more nutrition to this recipe would be to couple it with a side salad or vegetable of some sort. Subbing the pasta out for whole wheat or even black bean pasta would increase the fiber and protein intake of the recipe, but you'd be sacrificing some flavor for that.
Other recipes you may like:
Was looking for a vegan casserole dish and stumbled across this vegan chicken parm. It was so good and easy to make definitely will make it again
This stuff slaps!! Tastes like mom used to make!
We're glad you liked it! We tried to make it as authentic as possible! 🙂