This vegan sausage chili is a hearty recipe that will warm your soul! It's easy to make in one pot using mainly ingredients found in your pantry! With a shot of espresso and topped with vegan sour cream and avocado this recipe is sure to fill you up and leave you with leftovers for the rest of the week!
There's no better time to have a nice bowl of chili than during a snowstorm and you're stuck inside all day. Even better if you were stuck outside shoveling in the snow!
Chili is my go-to meal for so many different reasons. It's easy to make, requires very few dishes, is almost impossible to screw up, and can be incredibly healthy! Every time we make chili we change a couple of ingredients depending on what we have on hand. It's a household favorite during the winter months in Canada!
I thought I was done making chili for a little bit because it was starting to warm up in Winnipeg, and then things took a turn for the worse when we were hit with a "storm of the century" in mid-April. We received over 2 feet of snow in 24 hours, and many places outside Winnipeg received 3-4 feet of snow. The storm brought the city to a standstill so I decided to fire up the old pot and made a big pot of vegan sausage chili!
Bonhomme and Bailey certainly weren't upset about the fresh powder, and it gave me a reason to make chili but I am getting a little tired of spending all of my time indoors. I'm thinking that a change of location may be in order.
How To Make Vegan Sausage Chili
This vegan sausage chili is easy to make in one pot using ingredients found in your pantry. You can easily mix and match ingredients as we normally do as well but this is a good base!
Ingredients for Vegan Sausage Chili
- Vegan Sausage (we used Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausages)
- Diced Tomatoes
- Red Kidney Beans
- Six Bean Medley
- Vegan Beef Broth
- Tomato Paste
- Liquid Smoke (optional
- Bread (to make garlic toast)
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan Cheese Shreds
Kitchen Equipment I used for recipe:
- No Beef Vegan Beef Broth – Better Than Bouillon is a top-of-the-line broth with deep rich flavors, but the vegan versions can sometimes be hard to track down. In Ontario you can find them at Costco in Winnipeg I usually order them here.
Instructions for Vegan Sausage Chili
- Start by dicing your onion, mincing your garlic, and removing the casings from the sausages and set aside.
- Heat a large pot on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once olive oil is heated and onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 min. Next, add your vegan sausage and break it apart with a spatula.
- Once the sausage is cooked add your spices and mix to combine and then add the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add diced tomatoes, espresso, vegan beef broth, six bean medley, red kidney beans, corn, liquid smoke, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine everything. bring the chili to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chili thickens.
- While the chili cooks prepare some homemade garlic bread.
- Ladle the chili into a large bowl and top with vegan sour cream, avocado, vegan cheese shreds, lime, and cilantro.
Full Measurements & Instructions Below!
Commonly Asked Vegan Sausage Chili Questions
Can you make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this vegan sausage chili ahead of time. Allowing the ingredients time to mingle in the pot will actually allow a lot of flavors to come out. I often make this recipe at least one day ahead of an event or gathering to allow all of the ingredients to mingle.
How do you store vegan sausage chili?
You can easily store the vegan sausage chili in an airtight container for up to 5 days. It's important to let the chili cool before placing it in the fridge or else it will heat the contents of your fridge.
What else goes with vegan chili?
One of the beautiful things about chili is you can make it completely your own by putting whatever you want in it. Here are some of my personal favorite things I love to pair with vegan chili;
- Garlic Toast
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan Cheese Shreds
- Baked Potatoes
Vegan Sausage Chili
Vegan Sausage Chili
- 4 Vegan Sausages casings removed
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (796 ml)
- 5 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 small Onion diced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups Mushrooms quartered
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans (540 ml)
- 1 can Six Bean Medley (540 ml)
- 1 cup Corn
- 2 shots espresso
- 2 cups Vegan Beef Broth
- 1 can Tomato Paste (156 ml)
- 2 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 2-6 drops Liquid Smoke optional
- 6 slice Bread toasted
- 2 Avocado
- 1 cup Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 cup Vegan Cheese Shreds
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro
- Start by dicing your onion, mincing your garlic, and removing the casings from the sausages and set aside.4 Vegan Sausages, 5 Garlic Cloves, 1 small Onion
- Heat a large pot on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once olive oil is heated and onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 min. Next, add your vegan sausage and break it apart with a spatula.4 Vegan Sausages, 1 small Onion, 2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 5 Garlic Cloves
- Once the sausage is cooked add your spices and mix to combine and then add the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes.2 tablespoon Chili Powder, 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder, 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin, 1 tablespoon Oregano, 1 teaspoon Paprika, 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes, 2 cups Mushrooms
- Next, add diced tomatoes, espresso, vegan beef broth, six bean medley, red kidney beans, corn, liquid smoke, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine everything. bring the chili to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chili thickens.1 can Diced Tomatoes, 1 can Red Kidney Beans, 1 can Six Bean Medley, 1 cup Corn, 2 shots espresso, 2 cups Vegan Beef Broth, 1 can Tomato Paste, 2-6 drops Liquid Smoke
- While the chili cooks prepare some home made garlic bread.6 slice Bread
- Ladle the chili into a large bowl and top with vegan sour cream, avocado, vegan cheese shreds, lime, and cilantro.2 Avocado, 1 cup Vegan Sour Cream, 1 cup Vegan Cheese Shreds, 1 Lime, 1 tablespoon Cilantro
If you try this recipe, please leave a 5-star review in the comments section below! I’d love to hear from you! You can rate it, comment about it, send us pictures about it on Instagram @RescueDogKitchen.
Other recipes you might like: