This weight gain smoothie recipe makes a delicious chocolate banana smoothie to help gain weight. You can add espresso or coffee if you drink this smoothie in the morning when you need a little bit of caffeine to start your day. That's what I do!
This chocolate banana weight gain smoothie is one of the easiest ways to get lots of calories, protein and nutrition into your routine! It has 1177 calories based on all the suggested ingredients you can add thats filled with nutrition. If you want a weight gain smoothie with less calories, you can remove ingredients as you want.
If you're trying to gain weight or muscle there is no secret answer to doing it "fast". Building muscle and gaining weight takes time. Drinking this weight gain smoothie once will not be some miracle smoothie that allows you to put on 10 pounds of muscle overnight. Successful weight gain, just like everything else in life is all about consistency.
Generally speaking if you want to gain weight and put on muscle you want to be in a slight caloric surplus every day. So if you burn many calories a day you want to be consuming even more calories every single day. Of course every person is different, but as a general rule, that's how gain weight. If you have any questions or concerns about your weight you should speak to a doctor or registered dietician.
How To Make A Weight Gain Smoothies
There are literally a million different ways to make a weight gain smoothie, this is just my smoothie recipe I use to gain weight as a professional athlete. Generally, I'll have this tasty smoothie in the morning as I love have my smoothie and caffeine in the morning. But if you're not a fan of espresso/coffee and caffeine doesn't sit well with you, you can simply omit the espresso shots.
Pro tip #1: Use frozen bananas for this to keep the smoothie cool and refreshing!
Pro Tip #2: if you plan to add espresso to a lot of smoothies make a big batch of espresso and then freeze it in an ice cube tray to easily add in to your smoothies!
- Brew your espresso shots.
- Add all of the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick add water a ¼ cup at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
Other easy ways to include more calories into your smoothies:
- Instead of making it with water add in one cup of orange juice for an additional boost in calories
- Add in some vegetables, like spinach or kale for added nutrients and benefits.
- Adding in a few dates (the fruit lol) will add calories, sweetness, and nutrients, just remember to pit them first!
- Gainer powder, not my favorite method because it's pretty processed but it's a super-easy way to add in a lot of calories quickly.
- Adding a tablespoon or two of oil adds lots of calories, but is generally devoid of most nutritional value.
Kitchen Equipment I used for recipe:
- The Inexpensive High Power Blender I Use! - Okay not to sound like a broken record here but I use to think getting a high power blender was stupid and I thought that a magic bullet was good enough... Just trust me on this one high power blenders are seriously worth it. This is the exact model we use and you don't have to donate an arm or a leg for it!
Weight Gain Smoothie
- High Speed Blender
- 1 scoop Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder
- 2 tablespoon All-Natural Peanut Butter
- 2 cups Soy Milk unsweetened
- 2 medium Bananas
- ½ cup Avocado chunks
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Soy Yoghurt unsweetened
- 4 shots Espresso two doubles, optional
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Hemp Hearts
- 1 tablespoon Flaxseed ground
- ½ cup Ice Cubes optional
- Brew your espresso shots.
- Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add water a ¼ cup at a time if it's too thick.
- Espresso is optional if you don't like it, don't have any, or caffeine doesn't sit well with you don't add it in.
- I always keep a bag of frozen avocado chunks in the freezer, they're much cheaper and perfect to add into smoothie recipes.
If you try this recipe, please leave it a 5-star review in the comments section below! I’d love to hear from you! You can rate it, comment about it, send us pictures about it on Instagram @RescueDogKitchen.
The nutrition information presented here is for all of the ingredients. I take all of the nutritional information from Cronometer a nutritional tracker website that provides you with a lot of great information, especially regarding micronutrients!
1 servings per container
Serving Size1 g
- Amount Per ServingCalories1177
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 7g 35%
- Sodium 340mg 15%
- Potassium 2413mg 69%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 34g 136%
- Sugars 41g
- Protein 66g 132%
- Vitamin A 38%
- Vitamin C 26%
- Calcium 116%
- Iron 173%
- Vitamin D 63%
- Vitamin E 145%
- Vitamin K 83%
- Thiamin 1063%
- Riboflavin 134%
- Niacin 86%
- Vitamin B6 111%
- Vitamin B12 250%
- Folate 57%
- Pantothenic Acid 33%
- Phosphorus 100%
- Magnesium 122%
- Zinc 40%
- Selenium 66%
- Copper 128%
- Manganese 164%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
The amount of nutrition in this weight gain smoothie is mind blowing. This is often times over looked in the nutrition and sports world as well when people are trying to focus on losing or gaining weight, they tend to only focus on protein, carbs and fats. When in reality you need everything else to go with it in order for your body to function properly and achieve what you want too.
Without iron, your body can't make hemoglobin to transport blood and oxygen throughout the body. Your body and specifically muscles need oxygen to repair themselves. So if you're not getting enough iron you're body will struggle to gain weight and put on muscle.
This is why I advocate for a whole food weight gain smoothie instead of simply purchasing a "mass gainer" powder. The majority of the time those will be full of fillers and empty calories that don't actually help your body do much of anything.
Commonly Asked Questions about Weight Gain Smoothies
- Can smoothies make you gain weight?
Yes smoothies can make you gain weight. Anything that puts you into a caloric surplus or consuming more calories than you are burning will cause you to gain weight.
2. What smoothies are good for weight gain?
This chocolate banana espresso smoothie is perfect for weight gain. It is high calorie and has almost 70 g of protein but it is also full of other nutrients that support healthy bodily function that will assist you with healthy weight gain.
Other recipes you might like:
- Protein Porridge (oatmeal) Recipe - 22 g protein per serving
- Where I get my Protein as a vegan pro athlete
- Tofu Bolognese - 26 g protein per serving
Remember that 50% of ad proceeds we get from the website go back to helping animals in need so we really appreciate it when you click on our links and share the website and social media posts with your friends!
This is a fantastic morning smoothie for picky kids who won’t eat breakfast or a meal replacement for those nights when we go straight from school to dance or hockey. One serving is easily split into 2 for the kids - I omit the espresso and add cinnamon - love it!
Keep up the great recipes John!
Best vegan weight gain smoothie I've tried so far
Awesome Ryan, I'm glad you liked it!
This was so filling! I made it for breakfast this morning and it was delicious but I was full for a long time after!
I'm glad you liked it Jesse! But yeah it's definitely a lot to handle, but if you're looking to gain weight sometimes that's necessary!
Major gains!!!! Looks yummy
It's a great way to start the day if you're looking to gain weight!